New Church Development
Interested in Starting a New Faith Community?
The Kentucky United Methodist Church has the vision to plant many new churches in the next few years. We are looking to start both large and small faith communities with different strategies, including:
- "Parachute" Drops
- Mother Church "Births"/Satellites
- Ethnic/Multi-racial Faith Communities
- Missional Starts
- House Church Starts
- Rural Starts
- Lay-led or Local Pastor-led starts
We understand investing in the right leaders is key. We are looking for effective leaders who:
- have a strong sense of calling, deeply established prayer habits, and keen understanding that church planting is a God thing.
- have a VISIONIZING capacity - who can persuasively sell a vision that does not limit God.
- have apostolic zeal and a passion for evangelism. They have a demonstrated history of building relationships in the community and leading these friends to Christ and into church life.
- comprehend the culture and can assess needs, adapting philosophy to the character of the community.
- have a coachable and adaptable spirit. They take initative, and contiually strive for personal and professional growth and development. They are very persistent and deal well with frequent and abrupt change.
- have a peace, along with their spouse and family, about the ministry of new church development and have embraced the sacrifices entailed.
- are willing to raise funds and sacrifice for the sake of the kingdom, risking whatever to bring people into a relationship with Jesus.
- are catalytic innovators. This relates to the "entrepreneurial gene" typically found in good planters.
- are deeply committed to The United Methodist Church.
- are willing to engage in the discernment process to explore and assess their calling in new church development as outlined here.
The selection of new church pastors helps those interested to discern whether God might be leading them to this very unique calling. The District and NCD office will guide a candidate through the following checklist (not necessarily in order):
- Nomination or request to be included as a New Church Planter candidate (District Superintendent or NCD office)
- Assigned Reading
- New Church Leadership Institute or Lay Missionary Planting Network Classes (LMPN)
- Personal Assessment Interview
- Episcopal/Cabinet Approval
- Personal Fundraising
- Church Planter Survey
- Spiritual Gifts Survey
- Interview - DS, Team Representative, and NCD Director
- School of Congregational Development or Exponential
- Boot Camp
- Assessment of Benchmarks
- Assignment of Coach
- Formal Application
- References (Lay and Clergy)
- Team with NFC Pastor (Lay Persons, Staff)
- FULL MAP
- Personality Profile
- Psychological Profile
- Background Check/Release of Information
If I am interested, what is the next step?
Contact your pastor, District Superintendent, or the office of New Church Development at (502) 425-3884, www.kyumc.org 7400 Floydsburg Road, Crestwood, KY 40014.