On May 20, Moore, Oklahoma was devastated by a massive tornado. Over 20 people were killed and more than 200 were injured. Earlier in the week, several tornadoes roared across central Texas killing at least 6 and injuring almost 100. Families have lost their homes and lives have been shattered.
This is a horrific reality and it is a reality into which the love of Christ will flow. You can respond in several ways:
- Pray for those who have been so deeply hurt. Pray for their families, for their communities, for our United Methodist Churches in the area as they respond, and for the first-responders who are offering care through the crisis.
- Give through your United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR). You can do this through several avenues:
- You can make a donation on-line now for Disaster Response, United States Advance #901670.
- You can also donate via telephone by calling 1-888-252-6174.
- You can make an immediate $10 donation, you can text RESPONSE to 80888.
- You can also donate through your local congregational offering by noting on your check or offering envelope: UMCOR Advance #901670 – Tornado
- You can send your check directly to the KY Conference Treasurer at:
- Kentucky Annual Conference, 7400 Floydsburg Rd, Crestwood, KY 40014. Make check payable to: Kentucky AnnualConference designated as Advance #901670 – Tornado
- You can give directly through the Oklahoma Conference. See information and directions at this link: Oklahoma Disaster Response You can give directly through the Central Texas Conference at Central Texas Disaster Response.
- When the appropriate time comes for recovery and rebuilding homes (watch the Oklahoma Conference website and the Central Texas Conference website for this information), consider sending an UMVIM workteam from your church
Related Stories and Resources