Heartland Hispanic Lead Team Meeting - 06/27/17
Conference Office Closed - 4th of July - 07/04/17
Music Camp - 07/10/17
Conference NCD Executive Team Meeting - 07/12/17
I can't tell you the exact moment I fell in love with the Ida Spence UM Mission but that's exactly what has happened. I am the new Director of the Ida Spence UM Mission located in the City Heights government subsidized housing projects in Covington, Ky., and I must say that to some, it might seem like an unlikely fit, but to me....it's a deep honor to serve here.
It is incredible to see children pouring through the doors Sunday afternoons for children's worship. Just last Sunday we had over 100 children packed in our sanctuary! We have partnered with a Catholic ministry “on the hill” (the name the residents call City Heights projects) passing out after school snacks to children. One afternoon I was sitting on the church steps with a large group of children just talking and laughing as they ate their snacks, and a policeman drove up and asked the large group what they were doing. One girl said, "We're here with our pastor." The policeman couldn't see me sitting and said, "Yeah...sure." The girl replied "She's sitting right here. She's short and she's white!"
It is an incredible place to be in ministry. The darkness and poverty in the projects is palpable. But, the light of Christ just beams through those who love Him in the midst of the darkness. I honestly leave each day not quite able to wrap my heart or mind around the incredible ways that I see the transforming power of Christ at work in my dear friends' lives.
Thank you for making the ministry possible. Thank you for not forgetting the precious people who live in City Heights, because I can say with complete certainty that our presence in this community speaks volumes to them. The ministry of Ida Spence United Methodist Mission is truly a labor of love of the churches in the Kentucky Annual Conference. We pray every day to “be the light of Christ on the hill.”
I want to invite you to join us on this incredible journey through your prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness.
How can you help?
1. Pray! As my friend Rooster always says, "When prayers go up, blessings come down." Please pray.
2. Come and serve! Join us Sunday's at 2 p.m. for a time of worship with some of God's precious children.
3. Give! We are so thankful for any gifts. We are always in need of monetary gifts, donations of cleaning supplies (which cannot be purchased with food stamps), and after-school snacks. We are also thankful for any art or children’s supplies you might not need.
4. Adopt a child for Christmas. We had 190 families request help for Christmas and currently still have 75 families to adopt.
5. Share the story of what God is up to at the Ida Spence mission. You can email me to receive the Email Ida Spence Mission newsletter.
Thank you and Abide!
Ida Spence UM Mission
PO Box 121319
Covington, KY 41012-1319