People get up to get great deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, but plan to set your clocks on Tuesday, December 2, 2014 for #GivingTuesday! #GivingTuesday is an opportunity to give through the General Board of Global Ministries by matching donations given to Advance Projects on-line. From 12:01 am EST until 11:59 pm EST, Global Ministries will match up to $1 million given in donations through The Advance on-line. The maximum single donor match will be $2,500 with for a single Advance Project and The Kentucky Conference wants to be that conference.
UMC #Giving Tuesday is part of an international movement that builds on the recent U.S. shopping traditions of Black Friday, Local Business Saturday and Cyber Monday. It offers an opportunity to start off the holiday season by giving instead of getting through supporting organizations that have been researched and approved by the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries. And 100 percent of all gifts made through The Advance are given directly to the designated project.
Last year was the first year GBGM participated in UMC#GivingTuesday and $6.5 million was raised to support our missionary efforts.
We encourage you to donate and ask others to as well. Use Social Media to share about #Giving Tuesday.
What do you need to know
- #GivingTuesday is December 2, 2014
- Matching funds for Advance donations given on-line www.umcmission.org/give
- The Kentucky Mission Team recommends these Advance Specials that are related to our area:
- Jamie (#3021813) and Lisa Williams (#3021814), who are pastors in the Kentucky Conference and serving as missionaries in Belize
- Belmopan Methodist High School Construction Advance #3021922
- Red Bird Conference (the 23 churches of Red Bird) #773978
- Henderson Settlement (3773365)
- Red Bird Mission (#773726)
- Red Bird Mission School (#773728)
Because matching funds are limited, give early in the day (note #GivingTuesday will begin at 12:01 am EST)