Director of Traditional Worship
September 25, 2018
Position Purpose: This part time (minimum 12-15 hours per week) role is to lead in all aspects of our traditional service, including collaborative worship planning, leading choirs and musical ensembles, collaborating with staff and volunteer musicians, and developing a dynamic spirit in the service.
Our weekly 11:15 traditional service is our largest worship service by attendance, and Centenary remains committed to an unapologetically traditional worship experience that is also uplifting, exciting, and warm.
- A person committed to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of their life without reservation
- Deep appreciation for, and love of, traditional hymns and other music, with experience in planning and leading services using piano, organ, and adult choir, including both rehearsal and performance
- Ability to sight read a variety of styles of music as appropriate to the position
- Able and willing to pass a background check and adhere to Safe Sanctuary policies
Centenary United Methodist Church
- Experience in choral leadership with children and/or youth •
- Competence in a musical instrument • Exposure to a presentation tool (Media Shout, ProPresenter, etc.) Performance Requirements:
- Serve as musical leader of our 11:15 traditional service and occasional non-Sunday services (such as but not limited to Christmas Eve or Good Friday), with responsibility for partnering with clergy and other worship leaders to ensure a cohesive service every Sunday that includes congregational song, meaningful liturgy, and special music. •
- Inspire, lead, rehearse, and encourage the Chancel Choir. This includes its regular role in worship leader in our 11:15 traditional service as well as two special programs during Lent and Advent. •
- Inspire, lead, rehearse and encourage the Handbell Choir •
- Willingness to work on a team basis with the clergy, staff, musicians, and committees •
- Maintain strong organizational and planning skills •
- Seek to expand the work and reach of the traditional worship ministry, including but not limited to recruiting new musical talent both inside and beyond the congregation.
- Arrange for tuning and maintenance of all musical instruments owned by Centenary (pipe organ and three pianos)
- Secure appropriate music as requested for all weddings and funerals
is a growing 750-member congregation in the beautiful Kentucky Bluegrass region (45 minutes south of Lexington) and offers a beautiful, new sanctuary with a large, flexible chancel, a recently-rebuilt Reuter pipe organ, and a newer Yamaha grand piano. Centenary employs musicians to play the pipe organ and grand piano during worship services.
Interested persons should submit a resume, letter, and any supporting materials (such as links to videos of them leading worship or choirs) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered as they are received until the position is filled.
Contact: Sean Ryan
Location: Centenary United Methodist Church
1441 Perryville Rd Danville KY 40422
Phone: (859) 236-4800