September 25, 2018
This part-time (Sunday only, plus occasional special services such as Christmas Eve and Good Friday) role is to usher and lead the congregation in a spirit of worship by playing Centenary’s recently-rebuilt 2-manual 22-rank Reuter pipe organ for our 11:15 traditional worship service. Our weekly 11:15 traditional service is our largest worship service by attendance, and Centenary remains committed to an unapologetically traditional worship experience that is also uplifting, exciting, and warm.
- A person committed to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord of their life without reservation
- Deep appreciation for, and love of, traditional hymns and classical organ literature
- Considers playing the organ to be their expression of worship to God
- Ability to sight read hymns as appropriate for the organ
- Able and willing to pass a background check and adhere to Safe Sanctuary policies Desirable:
- Experience and competence in hymn improvisation
- Track record of giving organ recitals
- Formal education in organ performance
- Experience in choral accompaniment on organ and/or piano
- Lead from the pipe organ during weekly worship services. This includes: solos during prelude, postlude, and occasional organ voluntaries during the time of offering and Holy Communion; accompanying hymns in concert with our grand piano; and occasionally accompanying the Chancel Choir with the organ when appropriate
- Bring a team-based spirit, particularly in collaboration with clergy, Director of Traditional Worship, and staff pianist
- Collaborate with Director of Traditional Worship to provide a qualified substitute in case of absence
- Right of first refusal to play for any weddings and funerals in the Centenary sanctuary (additional compensation provided)
- Oversee appropriate tuning and maintenance of the pipe organ Dedicated rehearsal time will be provided upon request.
- In addition, the organist may earn additional income if so desired by providing lessons using Centenary’s pipe organ during regular office hours.
Centenary United Methodist Church is a growing 750-member congregation in the beautiful Kentucky Bluegrass region (45 minutes south of Lexington) and offers a beautiful, new sanctuary with a large, flexible chancel, a recently-rebuilt Reuter pipe organ, and a newer Yamaha grand piano. Detailed specifications and stop list for the pipe organ can be found at http://www.reuterorgan.com/assets/clarionflyer/clarionflyer%20danville%20Centenary%20UMC%20II.pdf
Interested persons should submit a resume, letter, and any supporting materials (such as links to videos of them leading worship with the organ or performance pieces) to email@example.com
Applications will be considered as they are received until the position is filled.
Contact: Sean Ryan
Location: Centenary United Methodist Church
1441 Perryville Rd Danville KY 40422