Camping Ministry at Loucon
Helping Young People Grow in Relationship with God
Most people who are actively involved in the ministry of our United Methodist congregations across
Again and again in recent years we have been reminded that many of our churches in the Kentucky Annual Conference did not have even one profession of faith in the past year. At
Here are just a few of the statistics.
- 1,166 campers in 2006
- 708 made decisions about their relationship with God
- 126 of those were first time decisions to receive Christ
- 496 decisions were rededications of faith
- 86 made decisions about their existing relationship with God
Over the past several years, Loucon has averaged about 1,200 campers each summer. But there’s room for about 400 more young people. You and I could reach 1,600 campers in just about 8 weeks’ time at
All of this, of course, takes money. The average cost for a week of summer camp at Loucon is $180. Many families simply can’t afford to pay that much for a week of camp. In fact, every year, Loucon provides about $21,000 in scholarship money for campers. Some of these are full scholarships, some are partial. In addition to that amount, many of our churches pay some or all of the cost of a week of camp. They do this because they know how much impact summer camp can have in the life of a child or teenager.
Here’s what you can do.
- Encourage your children and youth to attend summer camp at Loucon.
- Pray for Loucon’s staff, deans, counselors, and campers.
- Send a donation to Loucon to provide a scholarship for campers.
- Schedule a retreat for members of your church.
Camping ministry makes a difference in the lives of young people in our Annual Conference. You have the opportunity to be Blessed to be a Blessing! Get involved!
Rev. Dr. Gary Maguffee
Loucon Committee Program Chair