The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is currently working with disaster coordinators and early response teams in Louisiana and Texas to provide relief to the many people whose lives have been impacted by hurricane/tropical storm Harvey. They have been working intently throughout the past several days to effectively respond to the needs of those impacted by the hurricane and the rains that followed. UMCOR has already started to issue recovery grants to the Texas and Rio Texas Annual Conferences, as well as delivering cleaning kits to be distributed to those deprived of basic essentials.
UMCOR has organized a list of five things United Methodists and anyone else who may feel called to provide assistance, through monetary donation, organizing relief kits, or through raising those impacted by Tropical Storm Harvey in prayer. The downloadable list, and a bulletin insert, can be found here: UMCOR responds to Harvey bulletin Inserts
1. Please continue to pray for those whose lives have been impacted by hurricane/tropical storm Harvey. Please also pray for the Early Response Teams, disaster coordinators, and many volunteers in The Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, Louisiana Conference of The United Methodist Church, Río Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church and Central Texas Conference who are working tirelessly to provide relief after Harvey.
2. Make relief kits, Here in the Kentucky Conference we are asking churches and individuals to begin assembling relief kits for our brothers and sisters in the areas devastated by hurricane/tropical storm Harvey. Please take your completed kits one of the following locations (listed by district). Please coordinate with the drop-off locations for times that they will be open and ready to accept kits.
3. Partner with UMCOR in responding to the needs of communities and individuals impacted by Hurricane Harvey by making a monetary donation to Advance #901670:
To give by mail:
P.O. Box 9068
New York, NY 10087-9068
Please note in the memo line: Advance 901670
4. Donate only those items requested.
5. Please wait for an invitation to volunteer.
United Methodist Committee on Relief has received a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, America's largest and most-utilized independent evaluator of charities.